Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Wheelchairs & Hobbies

Happy Tuesday! I hope you all had a great weekend. I had a pretty good one, considering that I had to spend all of Sunday in a wheelchair for a class assignment. It was meant to make us feel what it would be like to have something traumatic like a spinal cord injury happen that rocks your entire world. It was just 24 hours, but I was sure going nuts! We were instructed not to use our legs or move them at all. My hips are still aching from sitting in that position without moving all day. You wouldn't believe how I longed to just wiggle my toes or just stand up to go into the bathroom. It makes you appreciate what you have, for sure! So next time you feel quick to pass judgments or overlook another's plight, put yourself in their shoes. Quite literally, it might change your life. 

source

Speaking of gratitude, I've been looking at this handy little graphic a lot. I was trying to think of why I would be grateful for hobbies. Now that just seems weird. But the more I contemplated, I think I began to realize why hobbies are something I can be grateful for. And I really am! Daniel likes to putter around the apartment a lot, so a good portion of the time that I am at home, I'm entertaining myself. Thankfully, I don't find that hard to do. Not only that, but my hobbies are easily accessible and inexpensive. Most of them might seem pretty boring to you...

Reading (LOTS), scrapbooking, organizing, decorating, exercising, drinking coffee, writing, bossing people around (just kidding, or maybe not), making recipes from pinterest, painting my toenails, trying to make everything from scratch, listening to music, listening to podcasts, and the list goes on and on! As you can see, pretty much anything can entertain me. I'm not going to go on about it because you might think the only thing more boring than my hobbies is hearing about my hobbies. This is just a reminder to take stock. Remember the little things that matter to you. Be grateful. 

3 comments: