Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Weird Facts



You guys, my mind is so blown right now.  In my neurophysiology class, we have been going over the some of the basic senses. Most of it was boring stuff that everyone knows, but I found out some really cool stuff about taste today.  We all know that taste is influenced by smell, but did you know that what we describe as taste isn't actually taste? It is actually a combination of taste, smell and "mouth feel."  There are actually only FIVE (they think) different types of taste!  In case you wanted to know they are bitter, sweet, salty, sour and umami (Japanese for delicious. I am not making this up!) What?! Did you know this? All the things I thought were tastes... weren't? I can't fathom this.

For you really to only experience taste, you can't smell it.  So you should try eating something while holding your nose. Apparently (this is so crazy) if you simply taste a soda, you can't tell the difference between any of them! The only difference between sodas is when you mix taste and smell! How is this real?!  I feel like I have been tricked my whole life.  I also feel like we should invent a new term for taste since taste isn't actually taste.  Smeste? Tasell?  

Also, just in case you wanted to know any other really weird facts about your tongue... if you get your tongue pierced, it is possible that one of the many nerves in your tongue will get damaged.  This could cause you to salivate constantly (gross...) or lose taste in your part of your tongue.  The moral of this story? Getting your tongue pierced is not worth it.  

Ok, so if you want to join the Geek Club, email me.  

P.S. My teacher told me this.  If it was all a big lie, I am so sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment