Tuesday, November 20, 2012

On being legit.

Let me tell you a little bit about how hardcore I am...

I am taking an exercise physiology class this semester and as part of that class, our lab group had to create our own experiment.  We decided to test the effects of eating different types of carbohydrates on glucose levels during exercise.  Like, running-a-lot type exercise. 

Cool.  However, only two people out of our group had to perform the trial, so I'm home free----- NO, somehow I got roped into doing this stupid experiment.  I'll break it down step by step for you.

Step 1:  I am have to be fasted before the test so I don't get to eat breakfast before I go to class.  I am extremely hungry.

Step 2:  I have to eat a simple sugars as my carbohydrate.  Enter 53 grams of gummy bears.  Yum, yum.  I don't know about you, but I find this pretty appalling to have to eat 53 grams of gummy bears for breakfast and then work out.

Step 3:  RUN.  For 30 minutes.  Hooked up to a headpiece, mouthpiece, and nose clip. While my lab group stares at me.  Ew.

Step 4: Get stabbed in the ear every ten minutes to draw blood for the glucose test.  See below. 

Step 5: Finish 30 minute run.  Begin a 1-mile performance run where I have to run my absolute fastest. Without dying?  Yes. 

Step 6: My fastest was 8 minutes, 20 seconds. That is not very fast. 

Step 7: I think I'm so legit.



No comments:

Post a Comment