Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Blemished Sacrifices



Have you ever read the book of Malachi? It is a message from God to His people to change their ways. He wanted them to serve Him wholly. He wanted them to stop offering blemished sacrifices. He wanted them to worship Him faithfully and do what He asked. It is interesting because so often we read Malachi and think, Wow, how could the Israelites do that? Why did they offer imperfect animals as sacrifice? Why didn't they give God everything? Why didn't they serve Him faithfully?
Yet these words don't have meaning unless we take them into our own lives. We don't have a record of the book of Malachi so we can point the finger at long-dead generations. We have it because it applies to us, today.       

So how does it apply? God no longer requires us to make animal sacrifices so how could we possibly give blemished sacrifices? I think the answer is fairly simple-- anytime we give God only part of ourselves, we are in essence giving a blemished sacrifice. 

I find myself giving God up parts of myself. I want Him to have control over some areas of my life, but I try to still control certain areas myself. That doesn't seem so bad, does it? But maybe that is very similar to offering God an imperfect lamb. 

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

God tells us that he wants us to be living sacrifices. What exactly does that mean? Well I think it means that we offer up ALL of ourselves. So when I read Malachi's words, I can no longer think what foolish people they were to give God blemished sacrifices. Instead, I think of how Malachi might be speaking to ME and the book of Malachi becomes much more relevant than I realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment