Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Be Ready

I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are, but I look forward to the return of Christ to set up the Kingdom of God! We don't know when he will come, but the state of world events seem to suggest that it may be soon. The evil in the world certainly needs the peace of God. So whether it is tomorrow or in a hundred years, it doesn't matter. We need to be ready!


Hopefully you will be perfect when Jesus comes back so that he will accept you.

Just kidding. I'm not close to perfect and I never will be this side of the Kingdom. I'm pretty sure you aren't either. The thing is, we can't let that be an excuse. We can't make ourselves perfect but if we could, we wouldn't need God. But we also can't give up and say, Well, I'm hopeless. I'll never be any better so why bother?

It reminds me of the story told in Luke 7. Jesus is at the home of a prominent Jew for a dinner party. A woman who was a prostitute finds out that Jesus is there and she comes in, weeping with the burden of her past. She anoints Jesus' feet and wipes them with her hair. She knows too well that she is a sinner, but she also knows that she need only come to Jesus. We should be like her. She might have thought she was too bad to be forgiven, but she didn't. Or like the Pharisee, we might think we are doing pretty well. Neither attitude will serve us.

Being ready means just that... at any moment we are ready to serve God. It doesn't mean you are perfect but it most certainly means you have to do your best. We show God's love in every way that we can. Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Along the way, no doubt we will stumble. But how much better to stumble when Jesus is alongside you, ready to pick you up?

We need not be perfect, we need only a perfect Savior! 

2 comments: