Monday, January 18, 2016

Being a Kid

What do you remember of being a kid? 

Just because I love Kid President
I remember when we still lived in Virginia. I remember thinking honeysuckle was the neatest thing ever. My best friend Emily and I would go down the street to our older neighbor girl's house (who were ten, ha!). They used to play the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys and dance on the lawn-- they were just so cool. My mom would want me to add here that I was not allowed to listen to the Spice Girls or the Backstreet Boys. 

I remember my last Halloween before we moved to California. My mom made me a pink satin princess costume with sparkly lace. I went trick-or-treating with Emily and her parents; I needed to go to the bathroom but was too embarrassed to tell them so I just peed in my costume. #waylessembarrassing 

When I was a kid, I loved to be around friends. I spent a lot of time with our neighbors. I loved to play house and dolls and pilgrims and horses. I loved tree houses and tire swings. I climbed trees and read in them. I fell out of a tree once and hit my chin on the ground. I still have a funny scar on my chin. I loved to swim in our neighbor's pool and one year our neighbor set our backyard on fire. When the firefighters came, they brought prisoners with them to clean out the brush from our backyard. We didn't know they were prisoners and my mom wondered why they were so unfriendly when she spoke to them until the fire chief asked her to please stop talking to them.

When I was in fourth grade, I went on an overnight trip with my class. I thought it was the most fun thing I had ever done. One of the camp leaders there had just turned 18 and he had legally changed his name to Thunder. All the girls loved him. There was the biggest scandal when some of the girls in our class thought they had their belongings stolen. The class moms checked everyone's luggage to see who had stolen things but found everything that was missing in the owner's bag. Exciting stuff! On the way home, I rode in Robert's car and his mom let the kids watch a James Bond movie on their car DVD player. I knew I wasn't allowed to watch James Bond so I refused to look at the movie the entire car ride home.    

As a I grew older, I remember going to the fire station with my mom for a car seat fitting from the firefighters. I thought it was SO cool to see a woman firefighter. It was then that I decided that I would be a firefighter too. She seemed so strong and capable. 

When I was in fifth grade, my mom finally started homeschooling my brother and I. I thought it was just the best. I still remember singing the periodic table. I went to my first week of summer camp and had the best time with the girls in my group. 

These are just a few memories I have. Being a kid was the best, am I right?!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you had a very full and exciting childhood, just being a kid is the best time in our lives, truly underrated!

    ReplyDelete