Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Finding Gratitude

My blog name, Pure Joy, comes from a Bible verse that says to consider everything, even trials, pure joy. 

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance (James 1:2-3).


It's hard to be joyful when you aren't grateful. I've become much more intentional about being grateful in my life these last few months and years. It's funny, because I went on a hike the other day and I thought to myself, I will never stop noticing how beautiful creation is. 

And it's so true. EVERY time I go outside or on a hike or a run, I notice the little things. The wild grass blowing in the wind, the clovers, the artful shape of a tree branch. These things are never lost on me. 

Yet, with other areas of my life, it's so much harder for me to find gratitude. Why is that? I can't really say, but it's something I am acknowledging in an attempt to change. Really, it's not good enough to have gratitude for some things. I need to be grateful for everything, not just creation. I need to be thankful for my house, even when it's not cleaned. My clothes, even when they are old and not so stylish. My long hours at work, because I'm learning a lot. 



I often find it much easier to be aware of the big things I'm thankful for (my health, my family, my faith). It's wonderful to be aware of these things, but I also think it's important to acknowledge all the little things that make up your life. I hope you will join me today in stepping back from it all and finding gratitude.  

No comments:

Post a Comment