Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Spending Fast Update


If you don’t know what I’m talking about, go here.  Well… my spending fast was FAR easier than I thought it would be.  In fact, it was so easy that I didn’t feel like I was doing anything.  Which is a good thing, right?  Because it means that I don’t really need those things that I’m always spending money on.  I have come to the conclusion that if we don’t give ourselves permission to “need” more stuff, we don’t actually desire to have it.  Seriously.  In the process of not spending loads of money on myself, I was actually deeply saddened by my attitude toward splurging.  I have always felt that if I work hard and can afford something, I should just splurge and treat myself.  But there are so many people out there who can’t do that.  They can’t just go get a pedicure, Starbucks or a new pair of shoes anytime they want.  Some might say that the fact that I can makes me blessed, but does being spoiled make me blessed?  Probably not.  I’d say it makes it easier to be completely self-centered.  Makes me realize why Christ said that it is easier for the rich to enter the Kingdom that for a camel to go through the eye of a needle.  That’s hard.  I don’t have the answers.  All I know is that I don’t want these earthly treasures to impede my compassion and care for others.  I don’t want to become so self-absorbed that I think I deserve these things.  I want to love others before myself.  If you have found that balance in your own life, I'd love to hear about it!
Joyfully yours,
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. Good job on doing this! I learned years ago about my own spending habits when I was about to get married. I wanted to get out of credit card debt so I froze my credit cards in a bowl of water. Then if I wanted to buy something I had to wait for them to defrost. Oh, there were days I was chipping at them with ice picks :) but for the most part I learned the same thing you talk about ... I NEEDED far less that I thought I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I've heard of people doing that... I'm impressed! Sadly, we often don't figure out what we need and what we want before we make spur-of-the moment buys. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete