Thursday, January 17, 2013

Letter to My Sister.

Yesterday was the 10th birthday of my beautiful sister.  I am so thankful for Melissa, or Poppy as we call her.  Even though she is not old enough to read my blog, I wanted to share this letter I have written about her.  



When I was 11, I found out that I was going to have another sibling, a sister.  I was the oldest, with three younger brothers.  I did NOT want a sister.  I was selfish and wanted to be the only girl.  I hoped that the baby would turn out to be a boy. 

That all changed very quickly.  When my sister was born, she was the chubbiest, cutest baby I had ever seen.  I loved her instantly.  And although I dearly love all of my brothers, we all have a special bond with Melissa.  She is our little sister, and we have to protect her.  

I remember how scared I was when Melissa was a few months old and got very sick.  She would cough all the time and quickly lost all her chubbiness.  My parents whispered and took her to a doctor often.  One morning, she was admitted to the hospital and we found out she had RSV, a virus that was very dangerous for newborns.  I wasn’t allowed to visit her and spent the days with my grandparents and brothers, crying and praying and scared.  But she survived and I couldn’t thank God enough.

When Melissa passes out because of the strange reaction her body has to pain, I am scared to death every time.  I wish that the doctors could find out why it happens, but I know that we will just have to be extra careful with our sweet little sister. 

I remember the time I heard Melissa call herself fat when she was just 7 years old.  It was then that I decided that it is my job to have a positive self-image about myself.  Never will I complain about my body that God has given me.  It is my job to show Melissa that her worth has nothing to do with what she looks like, but everything to do with what her character is like. 
I want to be the best example I can for my little sister.  I will encourage her and love her, no matter what.  I want her to know the importance of God’s love.  I want her to know that people will like her because of who she is on the inside.  I want her to have compassion on others.  I want her to know that her worth lies entirely in God.  I want her to be in the Kingdom of God.  And I want her to know how much loving her has changed MY life.


2 comments: