Thursday, March 28, 2013

How to be a Runner


1. Be Crazy
2. Enjoy Torture

That's me (in blue) covered in mud!
Just kidding! I really believe that we can all be runners.  You may not be fast but you can put one foot in front of the other and run.  The problem is there are so many "problems" surrounding running... it's hard on your body, you get injured easily, it's hard on your feet, etc.  Those things can be true, but there are ways for dealing with it!  The biggest thing is running properly and not overdoing it.  Recently, I did a presentation on proper running techniques in school so I will share a couple tips that are often overlooked or misunderstood.

-- Don't stretch your legs way out!! Your feet should land below your hips.  Often people think they need to take big strides when you are running, but you don't!

-- Look up!  Don't allow your head to slouch forward when you are tired.

-- Use your arms to propel you forward.  Don't hold your shoulders up, keep arms at a 90 degree angle.  Swing back and forth, but don't twist them in front of your body as this only slows you down!

-- Land mid foot.  This isn't always agreed upon by running experts, but I believe it is safe to say that this is probably the most safe way to run.  It reduces shock on the body and prevents stain caused by "heel striking"



I think learning to run is awesome, so I hope that you will utilize these tips and try going for a run! I always say that once I have gone on my run for the day, I have done one of the most challenging things I will do all day.  Let today be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment