Monday, January 13, 2014

Character

source

Recently I was re-reading a book and stumbled upon this poem. I forgot how much I love it.  Though the language is obviously outdated (mutton, much?), it's truth hasn't faded. While it is directed toward men, I chose to post this as a reminder to women. Girls, remember to seek such a man.  I see so many women settle for men who treat them with disrespect.  Become the kind of Godly woman that a Godly man will honor. As we all have heard, it is about so much more than outward beauty.  Becoming a woman of beautiful character lasts forever and it's reward is true happiness. One only has to look to Proverbs 31 to see that the woman of noble character is one who works hard, cares for her family, and doesn't worry about the days to come. I pray that we all may become such women.  

   A Woman's Question by Lena Lathrop
 
Do you know you have asked for the costliest thing Ever made by the hand above--
A woman's heart, and a woman's life
And a woman's wonderful love?


Do you know you have asked for this priceless thing
As a child might ask for a toy,
Demanding what others have died to win,
With the reckless dash of a boy?


You have written my lesson of duty out,
Man-like you have questioned me;
Now stand at the bar of my woman's soul
Until I shall question thee.


You require your mutton shall always be hot,
Your socks and your shirt be whole;
I require your heart to be true as God's stars,
And as pure as heaven your soul.


You require a cook for your mutton and beef;
I require a far better thing.
A seamstress you're wanting for socks and shirts;
I look for a man and a king.


A king for the beautiful realm called home,
And a man that the maker, God,
Shall look upon as he did the first
And say, "It is very good."


I am fair and young, but the rose will fade
From my soft, young cheek one day,
Will you love me then 'mid the falling leaves,
As you did 'mid the bloom of May?


Is your heart an ocean so strong and deep,
I may launch my all on its tide?
A loving woman finds heaven or hell
On the day she is made a bride.


I require all things that are grand and true,
All things that a man should be;
If you give all this, I would stake my life
To be all you demand of me.


If you cannot do this -- a laundress and cook
You can hire, with little to pay,
But a woman's heart and a woman's life
Are not to be won that way.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Danielle! I really enjoyed this poem, and was encouraged by the truth behind it. :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete